- All Forms
- Start Dates
- Athletic Placement Process
- Contact Us
- Athletic Advisory Council
- Concussion Management Program
- Employment Information
- College Planning for the Student Athlete
The Athletic Placement Process (APP) is a program that permits exceptional 7th and 8th grade students to try out for a JV or Varsity sport, while still in Middle School.
In Byram Hills School District, 8th graders who pass the program can tryout for any HS Sport, while 7th graders may only tryout for non-contact sports. In addition, a middle school athlete may not take the roster spot of a HS athlete, with the exception of the Varsity Level.
The APP packet from NY State detailing the entire program can be found at the bottom of this page. In order to apply, parental signature is required to initiate, located on pg 19 of the packet.
Frequently Asked Questions:
- What are the deadlines for applications?
- Fall Sports: 1st Monday in May
- Winter Sports: 1st Monday in October
- Spring Sports: 1st Monday in February
- Who do we submit the APP packet to?
- The middle school Assistant Athletic Directors, Mr. Repa and Mr. Christian.
- Does APP require medical approval based on physical maturity?
- Yes. Once applications are in, each season we bring in the District Medical Director to evaluate the athletes to make sure it is safe for them to participate in HS Athletics.
- What are the Fitness Test Requirements?
- They are different based on age, and sometimes sport, and are located at the end of the APP packet found below.
- How many attempts at passing the Fitness Test does my child get?
- Byram Hills will provide 3 dates per season. An athlete can use all 3 attempts to pass. However if you miss a scheduled date for any reason, you lose that opportunity.
- My child is entering 9th grade in the Fall, do I need to apply for APP for the Fall season?
- No. APP is only for current middle school students who wish to play "up" at the JV or Varsity Level.
- My child is entering 7th grade and they are an exceptional athlete, can they apply for the APP?
- Depends. If you child wants to play a non-contact sport (x-country, track, swimming, tennis golf etc.), then yes. If they want to play a contact sport (football, soccer, basketball, cheerleading etc.) then no.
- My child is entering 7th grade and cannot attempt the APP because they play a contact sport. Is there any other way to play for the school?
- Yes. Most middle school students participate in Modified Sports, which is our 7th and 8th grade athletic program.
- Are all Modified Sports open to 7th grade?
- No. Usually they are, but in circumstances where there is an overwhelming sign-up of 8th graders, we would be unable to open a sport up to the 7th grade.
Any additional questions should be directed to the middle school Assistant Athletic Directors, Mr. Repa or Mr. Christian.
Director of Health, Physical Education and Athletics
Phone: (914)273-9200 ext.4982
Secretary to the Athletic Director
Assistant Athletic Director
Phone: (914)273-9200 ext.4987
Certified Athletic Trainer
Jennie Croke - BHHS Health and Physical Education Coordinator 9-12
Jared Christian H.C. Crittenden Health and Physical Education Coordinator 6-8, Winter Assistant to the Athletic Director- Modified Sports
Ted Repa Fall and Spring Assistant to the Athletic Director- Modified Sports
To contact a coach, please click the season in the navigation bar above. Then click the team you would like to contact.
The Athletic Advisory Council meets approximately five times per school year from 8:30 A.M. to 9:15 A.M. between October and June of each year. The focus of the council is to gather input from both internal and external sources to enhance the athletic program as a whole. Material is presented to the council, discussed, and then implemented if appropriate and deemed beneficial for the student-athletes in our program. The membership of this council is comprised of parents representing a multitude of sports, student-athletes, teachers, coaches, administrators, and board members.
The following dates are when meetings will be held:
Dates for the 2020-21 school year have not been decided yet.
Students interested must have the forms below completed by a specified date that has not been released yet.
Want to play college sports? Click the links below to find out more information. First step should be signing up.
If you have any questions, or need assistance with any part of the college athletic search, you can contact Rob Castagna, Director of Athletics, Kristina Wilson, Chair of Guidance or you child's coach.