About HCC Library
Library Mission Statement
In all academic disciplines, HCC students regularly engage with information from various sources, developing skills essential to their success in this Information Age. Through collaboration with academic teachers in designing research tasks, instructing students on strategies for using information tools, maintaining a collection of useful and current library resources including appealing reading material, and providing teachers with resources to enrich the curriculum, the library promotes students’ construction of meaningful, dynamic understandings of the world.
Research* conducted across the nation over the past two decades shows students score higher on standardized reading tests (regardless of student income level, and even when schoolwide staffing levels decline) when school libraries are:
- staffed by certified school librarians.
- have extended hours.
- have larger & newer collections.
- have more frequent visits by students.
- are funded at a higher rate.
and when certified school librarians:
- teach information literacy to students**.
- plan collaboratively with teachers.
- provide in-service training to teachers.
- have flexible scheduling.
*See school library impact studies at:
"Standards for the 21st Century Learner"
Hours: 7:30-3:30, every school day
Student Access to the Library
A note from home or an email from parent or guardian is required for after-school use of the library. (A year-long "permanent" library pass can be set up specifying the permission is for the entire school year and for which days of the week.) Send such email to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- A pass is required for students using the library without a teacher during school hours.
- When the library is not in use for classes, students may sign up to come to the library during the second half of their lunch periods to read, do school work, or a quiet activity. Sign up is electronic via FlexTime Manager and is available during X-Pod each morning, until 9:30, on days when the option is available. Please see "Library Lunch Sign Up" for links to the forms.
- Students may return a book at any time. Please place books in the silver metal book return bin on the tall shelf close to the library entrance.
- Students and teachers may check out as many books as they wish, as long as they have no overdue books.
- Books can be checked out for one month, with one renewal.